Reveal the Mas – Caribbean Carnival Arts Festival
Join us for an explosion of colourful costumes, energetic dance, percussion and head-dress making workshops. Nine days of fun packed carnival arts activities in local schools, community centres, 20-21 gallery and workshop spaces, culminating in a vibrant parade throughout the town. Reveal the Masquerade in Scunthorpe!
A unique taste of the Caribbean, forming part of the UK Carnival Tour “TAKING FLIGHT” funded by Arts Council England’s Strategic Touring Fund, building on the strong partnership between Emccan (East Midlands Caribbean Carnival Arts Network), 20-21 and Arts Development at North Lincolnshire Council.
There will be an exhibition of elaborate carnival costumes from 15th to 23rd September in the main gallery at 20-21 Visual Arts Centre, as featured in carnival parades in Derby, Nottingham, Leicester, Northampton, Leeds and Notting Hill. These large King and Queen costumes reach up to fifteen feet in height and are designed and made by professional and volunteer Caribbean carnival artists from the East Midlands.
Workshops will take place at the centre as well as with local community groups from 20th to 23rd September. All sessions are FREE but a small donation of £2 is suggested for materials. We cater for all ages and abilities, families and emerging artists. Participants will have the opportunity to learn new dance routines, play body percussion, drumming and make carnival head-dresses. Anyone can join in the workshops, no need to book…just turn up! Pick up a full programme at the centre.
- Saturday 15th to Sunday 23rd September – Carnival Exhibition at 20-21 Visual Arts Centre, Free entry 10am-4pm Tuesday-Saturday (plus 11am-4pm on Sunday 23rd September)
- Wednesday 19th September 1-4pm – Get Crafty workshop plus percussion and music for those with a disability
- Thursday 20th September 10.30am-12noon Stick and Splodge with Sticky Fingers – Carnival Crafts for under 5s
- Friday 21st September 6-7pm Free On Target Dance for ages 8-19 at CrosbyOne Centre
- Saturday 22nd September 10.30am-12noon Carnival chants, drumming and body percussion, 12noon-1.30pm Carnival headdress making at 20-21 Visual Arts Centre, 2pm Parade in Scunthorpe Town Centre
- Sunday 23rd September 11am-4pm Drop in to 20-21 Visual Arts Centre for carnival crafts, music and more during the free fun day
There is also an opportunity for schools to book workshops on Friday 21st September – please contact email@example.com for further information
Be part of the carnival parade or just come along to cheer us on, in Scunthorpe town centre on Saturday 23rd September at 2pm.